University of Patras Home Page
1993: Ph.D. University of Aarhus, Denmark.
1999: Graduate Diploma in Distance Learning. Greek Open
1987: B.Sc. University of Patras, Greece.
Category Theory, Mathematical Logic
1. Compact Topologies on Locally Presentable Categories, Cahiers de
Topologie et Geometrie Differentielle Categoriques, Vol. XXXVIII-3
2. Gabriel Topologies on Coherent Quantales, Journal of Pure and
Applied Algebra, 127(2), 177-192, 1998.
3. (with Costas
Drossos) Coupling an MV-algebra with a Boolean Algebra, Intern.
J. of Approx. Reasoning 18 (1998), 231-238.
4. Gabriel Filters and the Spectrum of an MV-algebra. In: D. Dubois et
al.(eds) Fuzzy Sets, Logics and Reasoning about Knowledge.
5. Categorical Domain Theory: Scott Topology, Powercategories, Coherent
Categories ps file, Theory and Applications of Categories,
9 (2001), 106-120
6. Notions of Flatness relative to a Grothendieck Topology ps file ,Theory and Applications of Categories,
12 (2004), 225-236
7. (with J. Rosicky
and J. Velebil ),
Completeness of Cocompletions ps
file, Journal of Pure and Applied
196 (2005), 229-250
8. (with T.
Beke and J. Rosicky), When is Flatness Coherent?, Communications in Algebra, 33
9. (with C. A. Drossos) A note on representing and interpreting
MV-algebras. In: S. Aguzzoli et
al.(eds) Algebraic and Proof Theoretic Aspects of MV-algebras.
Springer, LNCS 4460, pp. 119-126, 2007.
10. (with J. Velebil) Dense morphisms of monads pdf file, Theory and Applications of Categories,
18 (2007), 372-399
11. (with J. Velebil) Representability relative to a doctrine, Cahiers
Topologie et Geometrie Differentielle Categoriques, 50 (2009), 3-22
12. (with A. Matzaris and J. Velebil) Final Coalgebras in Accessible
Categories pdf file , Mathematical Structures in Computer Science,
21, No. 5, 1067-1108 (2011).
13. (with G. Protsonis) Left Kan Extensions Preserving Finite Products
pdf file , To appear in Journal of Pure and Applied Algebra
Preprints and notes:
1. Flatness and the left exactness of geometric realization ps file , Notes from PSSL 83, Glasgow, May 2006
2. Sifted inductive completions over cartesian closed bases pdf file , Notes from Categorical Methods in
Computer Science, Coimbra, October 2007
3. (with A. Matzaris and J. Velebil) Cofree Coalgebras in Accessible
Categories pdf file , Submitted, October 2010
Link to PSSL87
1. Introduction to Algebra and Set
Theory, Fall Semester (1st year course)
 D. N. Georgiou and S. Iliadis, Set Theory, Patras 2009
 K. Kalfa, Introduction to Algebra, Ziti Editions
 P. Halmos, Naive Set Theory, (Greek translation) Ekkremes Editions.
Fall 2010 (1).
Fall 2010 (2).
Fall 2010 (3).
Fall 2010 (4).
Exam sheets with answers
Solutions Feb'11 .
Results June 2012 (NEW!).
2. Mathematical Logic, Spring
Semester (1st year course). Notes (part of a
textbook, with C. Drossos and E. Papadopetrakis). Old exam sheets,
available as pdf files: June 08,
Exercises, Spring 2011
3. Mathematical Logic II
(merging of the courses tought formerly as Ordered Sets and Algebras of
Logic and Model Theory) Fall Semester (3rd year course). Course notes
Greek: by P. Karazeris, available as ps
by C. Drossos, available as pdf
The material covered in the course corresponds to Chapter 1, sections
2.2, 2.4, 2.5 and Chapter 3 from the first set of notes and to pages 56
to 81 from the second set of notes.
Old exam sheets, available as dvi files: September 03, February 04, February 06.
1. Foundations of Mathematics - Mathematical Logic, Spring
 D. van Dalen, Logic and Structure,
 J. L. Bell and A. Slomson, Models and
Ultraproducts, North Holland (1969)
 A. Tzouvaras, Elements of
Mathematical Logic, Ziti Editions (1998) (in Greek)
Old exam sheets: June 04,June 06.
2. Category Theory (Reading Course), Usually available in Fall
Semester. Although it carries the weight of half a course, it is
actually taught in the form of lectures, whenever there is interest.
Students are evaluated from exercises of this and that form. Some old
notes in Greek, partly suitable for the course, are available as ps file. A higly recommended set
of notes, written by S. Awodey, has now appeared as a book (S. Awodey,
Category Theory , Oxford Logic Guides, Oxford Science Publications
Students I have
1. A. Matzaris, Completions of
Categories under Colimits and Exactness Conditions (in Greek, ps file).
2. K. Leivaditis, Characterization
of Algebraic Categories (in Greek, ps file).
3. G. Protsonis, Categories with
homotopy structure (in Greek, pdf
4. A. Papastavrou,
Exact sequences, homological and derived functors (in Greek, pdf
5. S. Delis,
Category theory and concrete universals (in Greek, pdf
1. A. Matzaris, Final and Co-free Co-algebras
in Accessible Categories (in Greek, pdf file).
2. G. Protsonis,
Preservation of Classes of Finite Limits by Left Kan Extensions (in Greek, pdf file).
Zoe - Pelagia
Lena and the girls
On the way to Cephalonia
Division Home Page
Mathematics Home Page